The Good Parenting Guide to Christmas-after-Divorce
Are You Staying with Him or Her Because of Your Lifestyle?
Some say there is been a rising trend for couples to stay together because of the lifestyle they share, even when the love has gone. Here's some questions and my answers about this:
- do you think this is a rising trend and why (are we valuing materialism
more than love, etc)?
"I'm not sure if this is a rising trend or whether women are simply more honest about why they're staying in a relationship nowadays. A decade or two ago they would’ve been too embarrassed to say they were in it for the "lifestyle" because that would’ve been such a "Stepford Wife" thing to say. Now we have the sorts of friendships where we don't expect to be judged over such decisions."
- how do you know when you've reached the point when you're staying together
just because of the lifestyle?
- "You know when you've reached the point where lifestyle means more than love when you're clocking how that lifestyle is going. Usually it's seen as an upwards trajectory where the lifestyle should keep improving with better clothes and gifts, better restaurants, better holidays, etc. If inside you've started to feel quite mercenary about the relationship then that's a very big wake-up call. Also if you find you’re telling your girlfriends more and more about the material side of things then that's what you’re focused on. Early in a relationship when all you can do is gush about him, e.g. and his sense of humour and how hot he is in bed, but now you're talking about what he's just bought you, then your priorities are changing!"
- can lifestyle ever make up for love?
- "Lifestyle can only make up for love when you're not looking for to a deeper love and he knows you feel that way. If you've been honest enough to tell him then he's also probably happy with the lifestyle you both share and not so worried about the love thing. If you’re hiding the fact that you’ve fallen out love with him but still love the lifestyle, then it devalues you."
- is there anything wrong with staying with someone for the lifestyle and
how can you make it work?
"There's nothing wrong with staying with someone for the lifestyle if you have basic respect for them and they feel the same way, too. But if you lie to them that you’re still deeply in love then that's complete deception. To make it work requires that openness. It may be that you’re both in a life-stage where a passionate love is not the most important thing. For example, you may both be so in to your career that the lifestyle you share works well for you both without the hassle of finding a new relationship."
- do you have any tips on maintaining that lifestyle if you break up (eg,
how do you manage to stay close to your joint friends)?
"You can maintain your joint friends if you don't ask them to take sides. Also never involve them in gossip about your ex. For a time you might find you both need to see them separately after you've first broken up. Eventually can all go out together as a group again. It does happen! To maintain the financial side is a completely different issue. Either you can choose to work harder to fund it or get together with another single friend to share costs on different things you both enjoy."
My new book The Emotional Eater's Diet is published in the UK on May 15 - I’m very excited as I hope emotional eaters - women or men will find it helpful. Each year 2/3s of people start a diet and 20% start a new diet each month. Yet 95% of diets aren’t successful.
I firmly believe that emotional eating to soothe difficult feelings is the culprit behind most of this failure. My book has a huge range of practical tips/strategies to help understand your emotions and manage your appetite. There are mini-quizes and real case studies.
It’s available to preorder on Amazon. Please remember that food can fuel your energy needs but not your emotional needs. Take care!
I'm delighted that my latest book Sex Academy was endorsed by my fellow self-help author Siski Green who said: "Sex Academy really is THE Bible of sex books. The lessons and lectures cover the A-Z of everything you want to know - from Anal sex to getting Zero sex." I hope you enjoy it!
I was so excited and HAPPY to write this book on happiness covering my 10 unique Happiness Principles. I hope it helps increase your well-being, contentment, and happiness. I've packed it with dozens and dozens of easy-to-use strategies, plus life-changing insights. Based on about five years of collecting case studies and research I hope you'll find it helpful.
My latest sex guide's out - I've gone through thousands of questions people ask me about sex - from why they don't feel desire to how to handle a partner's kinky fetish. Here are the answers plus loads of tricks and techniques. Enjoy!
Discover the relationship between your dreams and your sex- and love-life! Go on a journey of self-discovery in this unique dream book. Case studies, a dream directory, and ‘dreamersises’ help you interpret your dreams.
My research found if a couple's been together more than one year it's unlikely you've tried any new sex tip, trick or technique for at least four months! Rescue's at hand with my 250 hottest sex tips for every aspect of your sex life.
No couple or single can be without this unique, best-selling book containing a vast range of techniques, tricks and tips to turn your lover on. From attracting someone new to recharging your old relationship, Fabulous, explores each of the sexual senses in turn!
No. 1 selling book offering you tons of fantastic sex tips PLUS a new and revolutionary ways of looking at sexual pleasure and ‘problems‘ and how they fit into a person's whole life and relationships.
No. 1 selling sex book covering everything from how your body works to infinite sex tips. The Daily Star said: 'Sinful Sex has something for everyone'
A unique parenting book giving you creative techniques to understand your child better through their dreams and nightmares. These reveal so much about a child that most parents miss out on. Strengthen your parent-child relationship, their confidence and well-being!